(Download our FREE checklist at the bottom of the page) 

If you're thinking about selling your house and you want it to go as quickly and as smoothly as possible, then there are a couple of items which you should address once the property is listed for sale. 

You should engage your solicitor as soon as possible or once the property is listed for sale. Your solicitor will need to get your title deeds immediately in order to prepare a contract for the sale of your house and will also need to take full instructions from you on the details of the sale. 

Below is a useful checklist of items which you may need to get and which you should consider once your property is listed for sale:


You will need to determine where the title deeds to your house are. If, like most people, you have a mortgage on your house, then they should be with your bank and we will need to request your title deeds from your bank. We will need your authority to do this and it typically takes two to three weeks for the bank to send them to us. 


Ensure that the Local Property Tax ("LPT") for the property is paid up to date. We will require an LPT printout from the Revenue's website showing that LPT has been paid for 2013 up to date and also that the household charge has been paid for 2012 (if the household charge was in fact payable).

3. Non principal private residence ("Nppr")

NPPR is a charge that was introduced in 2009 and is payable by the owners of private rented accommodation, holiday homes and other non-principal private residences. It applied for the years 2009 to 2013 (albeit the charge for 2009 expired on the 1st August 2021) and if it did apply to the property you are selling, then we will need either a Certificate of Exemption or Discharge for NPPR for the relevant years. We can procure these documents on your behalf if they are missing from the title deeds pack. 

3. Services to the Property

Is there a septic tank on the property? If so, a purchaser's solicitor will want evidence that it has been registered. There is a fee of €50 for registering your waste water treatment system. Details of the location of the septic tank and the soakage area will also be required. Are they within the boundaries of the property being sold? If not, further investigation may be required.  

Does the property have a water supply or is it serviced by well water? 

Access to the property is also an important consideration for a purchaser. Typically they will want confirmation from the local authority that the road abutting the property is in charge of the council. We can procure this letter from  the council on your behalf if it is not already with the title deeds. 

4. BER Certificate

If you do not have one, then you will need to engage an engineer/assessor to provide a BER Certificate showing the energy rating for your house. 

5. Marriage certificate

If you are or ever have been married, then we will need a copy of your state marriage or civil partnership certificate. If you are divorced or separated, we will need a copy of the separation agreement or divorce. 

6. works to the property

If you have carried out building works to the property since you acquired it, then we will need details of the works that you have done along with copies of any planning permissions and architects’ certificates of compliance. Alternatively, you could look to exclude these matters in the contract for sale. You should contact us before considering this. 

7. Letting Agreement

If the property is rented, then we will need a copy of the rental agreement or rent book. If the property is being sold with the tenant in situ then the rental amount in the month of closing and deposit held will be apportioned on closing. 

8. contents

If your house is being sold with contents, then we will need a list of what contents are being included. 

As you can see from the above list, there are a number of documents that you may have to procure to ensure the smooth sale of your property. This doesn't include the work your solicitor has to do to review the title deeds and draft the contract for sale and closing documents so if you want a quick sale, it is imperative that you engage your solicitor in the process as early as possible. 


We have extensive experience in dealing with all matters relating to residential conveyancing. We keep you informed at each stage of the process to ensure the transaction runs as smoothly and efficiently as possible. If you’re selling your house and are looking to speak with an experienced solicitor, then please get in touch today.

© Copyright Roe Solicitors

Translate This Page