Tel: +353 (0)83 209 1195  |  E:

Selling your house? Use this free checklist to avoid delays

Are you thinking about selling your house or apartment? If so, you will want the process to run smoothly and there are a number of things which sellers can do to avoid delays and ensure that the sales completes quickly.

1. Where are the Title Deeds?

You will need to determine where the title deeds to your house are. If, like most people, you have a mortgage on your house, then they should be with your bank and your solicitor will need to request your title deeds from your bank. It can take 2 weeks or more for the bank to release the title deeds so start this process early. Your solicitor can prepare the contracts without the title deeds.

2. Evidence that Local Property Tax has been paid

Ensure that the Local Property Tax ("LPT") for the property is paid up to date. Your solicitor will require an LPT printout from the Revenue's website showing that LPT has been paid for 2013 up to date and also that the household charge has been paid for 2012 (if the household charge was in fact payable). You get this printout from your profile on

 If you haven’t paid the LPT for the year in which you are selling the property, then pay it for the entire year. The amount you pay will be apportioned on closing meaning that you will get some of it back.

3. Evidence that Non-Principal Private Residence Charge tax has been paid

NPPR applied for the years 2009 to 2013 (albeit the chargea for 2009 and 2010 have now expired) and if it did apply to the property that you are selling, then your solicitor will need either a Certificate of Exemption or Discharge for NPPR for the relevant years.

You get this by writing to the local authority. Speak to you solicitor who can get these on your behalf if they are not with the title deeds.

4. Services

Is there a septic tank on the property? If so, a purchaser's solicitor will want evidence that it has been registered. You will need to do this prior to the sale. Start this process early to avoid delays.

Does the property have a water supply or is it serviced by well water?

Do you have a letter from the local authority confirming that the road abutting the property is in charge of the council? This may be required depending on the nature of the property.

5. BER Certificate

If you do not have a BER Certificate that is in date (they usually last for 10 years), then you will need to engage an engineer/assessor to provide a BER Certificate showing the energy rating for your house.

6. Marriage Certificate

If you are or ever have been married, then your solicitor will need a copy of your state marriage or civil partnership certificate. If you are divorced or separated, we will need a copy of the separation agreement or divorce

7. Works to the Property

If you have carried out building works to the property since you bought it, then your solicitor will need details of the works that you have done along with copies of any planning permissions and architects’ certificates of compliance

8. Letting Agreement

If the property is rented, then your solicitor will need a copy of the rental agreement or rent book along with details of the rent payable and what deposit if any was paid.

9. Contents

If your house is being sold with contents, then your solicitor will need a list of what contents are being included.

10. Service Charge

For properties in managed estates (i.e. apartments), you should ensure that the service charge is paid up to date. Through the management company, your solicitor will require confirmation that the service charge has been paid to date and this will be a requirement of the purchaser's solicitor. Speak to your solicitor about alternatives if you can afford to pay the entire service charge up front as it can be agreed with the purchaser’s solicitor that the service charge be discharged out of the sales proceeds.

 Here is the checklist in PDF form so you can download and print off.


  1. Critical things to consider when buying or investing in property with a friend. 
  2. Can you buy auction property with a mortgage? 
  3. How to switch your mortgage
  4. Top tips for selling your house
  5. What are the costs and outlays when switching your mortgage? 
  6. Property Chains - Buying and Selling Simultaneously 


We have extensive experience in dealing with all matters relating to buying and selling residential properties. If you are looking to speak with an experienced solicitor, then please get in touch today for a no obligation quote.

© Copyright Roe Solicitors

Translate This Page